Trans Thoracic Echocardiogram in Patchogue, New Hyde Park & Hicksville
Echocardiogram (Transthoracic Echocardiogram) is the ultrasound examination of the heart. This is a noninvasive procedure and is performed by using a probe with gel applied over the chest.
Why It Is Done
- Detect structural abnormalities
- Assess the pumping strength of the heart
- Evaluate suspected heart valve abnormalities
- Evaluate fluid outside of the heart (pericardial effusion)
How It Is Performed
- You will be asked to change into a gown for this test.
- Approximate time taken for the procedure is 30 minutes.
- Results are usually available the same day.
- No preparation is necessary for this test.
- No known risks. There may be some discomfort on the chest wall from the pressure applied by the probe. This does not have any lasting consequence.